Saturday, February 6, 2010

I HATE HAVING MY PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN.

That probably caught you off guard. But, that is the honest truth. I hate it (and I really, really dislike the word hate, to boot).

Last week I attended a workshop in Vancouver, taught by Becker. I met a couple-handfuls of fabulous wedding photographers, ate a fabulous lunch, networked, took notes, got my learn on. And towards the end of the shoot-portion, Becker shot us. The photographers. And he wasn't taking no for an answer.

So, standing there in Gastown, I thought about protesting, politely declining. After all, I'm behind the camera for a reason, right? But it didn't matter. I looked into the lens like I was looking down the barrel of a gun. Ugh. But I gave in. Becker was nice, made jokes, complimented. And I gave in... and this is what I got.



And do you know what I realized? I'm not the person that I imagine in my head. I'm not photogenic. But I'm me: squinty-eyed, big-nosed, crooked-toothed, goofy. And as of today, I'm okay with that. :)

So, to all of you that meet me and say "I'm not photogenic", or ask me to photoshop your insert-your-flaw-here, I say no. You are all beautiful in your own way. Original. Perfect.

2 comments:

Cara B. said...

You're crazy, Jen! Those are really great pics of you!

Bailey said...

You aren't squinty-eyed, and you don't have crooked teeth...

about me

I love coffee.
I love my tilt-shift lens.
I love traveling.
I love flip-flops, and wear them pretty much all year.
I love big cities, but coming home to a small town.
I love peonies.
I love chocolate, in all its forms.
I love early mornings.
I love weddings!
I love taking photos, and I'd love to take yours!

Thanks for stopping by. I also love comments - so feel free to leave a couple.